View Single Post
Old 01.14.2014, 08:15 PM   #17553
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
MELLY - there's a good brakhage collection on dvd. his stuff is not what you wanna watch in a shitty compression. you really gotta be able to see the feathers he glued to the film and all that shit. which is FUCKING GORGEOUS. but ultimately terribly boring. for the reason rob said: it looks great, but only for a second. me i give them 5 minutes max. i get the point after 5 minutes. don't make me sit 2 hours watching at flickering chunks of film. i WILL fall asleep.

PORKY - you're right the old avantgarde from those times is more like video art from today but my question is why it still goes on today if we get the point and nothing is being advanced by it. i mean unless someone makes something truly gorgeous, it's kind of pointless to continue scratching films and painting on it by hand and shit of that sort because it gets old fast. i mean, there are people who are doing fantastic film art today, there's a woman from san francisco, can't remember her name right now, she scratches and paints and overexposes and collages but it's pure fucking magic what she makes-- avant garde by definition must be the vanguard not a repetition of the old and she moves things forward. i'll give you the name when i can remember/find it.

ROB - yes. which is why i said they ignore the TIME dimension. a gorgeous image for a brief time is great. 2 hours sitting there looking at wax melt is not a beautiful experience. i've spent something like 45 minutes looking at 4 or 5 pieces by dutch masters in a museum but it's the fucking dutch masters-- vermeer, de hooch, etc. unless people are making vermeers on the screen, they shouldn't demand such loooong fucking attention. TIME MATTERS IN FILM.

DEMONIO - poor jack smith! i feel bad for the guy. he said he was not a victim, that he was dying for his ideals, and i actually believe him. anyway, i can't stand warhol films either. there was one about a junky…. oy, i can't even fucking remember. i'll poke my eyes with a fork if i have to watch again.

gimme the kuchars instead.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|