View Single Post
Old 03.23.2007, 07:13 AM   #71
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
i wasn't referring to the stage antics either, but just when you see them playing their instruments and doing what they're doing. it sometimes takes about 10-15 minutes to get in to it, but then they can suddenly hit you with an amazing groove or wonderful rhythm.

FYI: This is what the non-Goo refer to as "jamming the note." Meanwhile, the Goo bray on: "this is so wacky...it must be genius...I better pay attention to this...oh, and they are so like, organic, dude." And their thought bubble says: "hey, we kind of sound like them, maybe we could listen to their stuff and learn some tricks."

I feel I'm risking being misunderstoood here, so maybe I should elucidate a bit further.

Let's say six or seven very cool, artistically-inclined people get together to jam.
Since none have outstanding musical ability, they all kinda play what they think is cool: and all at the same time.

Over time though, they develop some rapport with one anothers' instrumentation and some interesting non-cacophonous sounds do develop somewhat, but since everyone's ego is so huge and they don't want to learn to work together to write a real composition, (that would be like a total drag, dude, because we're like, you know, making spontaneous art and stuff) there's only so far this type of musical experiment can go really.

Although, I will also agree that sometimes, there are some amazing sounds; I chalk this up to them having played together for so many years. Although playing intruments in non-standard, frenetic, and percussive fashion is hardly new.

Imagine early Camper Van Beethoven without the musical talent or knowledge, songs or instrumental compositions, wit or lyrics. Imagine if they all would have just decided to say "fuck it" and never would have written any of their classic indie tunes, instead settling for being smugly self-satisfied.

Although I've always been an admirer of expressionism in all of the arts, I've also always maintained, however, that one must be grounded by some sort of discipline to possibly ever truly be free to explore the full range of one's expressiveness.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|