View Single Post
Old 07.02.2009, 07:18 AM   #70
the red terror
empty page

the red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulva
I don't mean to complain about "too much new stuff" but considering it was my first SY concert, as much as I like the new album (and I do QUITE a bit) I can't help but be a bit disappointed since I didn't even hear a single song off my favourite SY album and just knew to expect everything off the new album after awhile without really getting any excitement or shock until the end. Everything was great otherwise but the set had me really let down because of that. DV69 couldn't even save it...

Understood, but that's an old rock & roll model. I don't want to get pretentious (o-kay, I can't help it), but think of art or fashion (which is also a part of rock & roll). I can understand when you see a dead artists' art show, or maybe a career retrospective, then you get some old stuff on the wall.

But if you are a contemporary artist, and you still have creative ideas and want to be relevant, you don't drag along pieces from ten-or-fifteen years ago and hang them with your new art show.

Same with fashion. If I'm going to a fashion show, I expect to see new pieces, not old ones.

If I go to see Tarantino's new "Inglourious Basterds" movie, I won't be surprised to see stylistic similarities from his old movies, but I don't expect to see him cutting recycled clips from Reservoir Dogs and Kill Bill into the new one.

Not precisely the same thing, I realize, but if you step back from the old stereotypical rock & roll model-slash-cliche, that's what *most* rock bands do, and SY is not like most rock acts, they are singularly unique in style, approach, creative philosophy, and one of the reasons we old farts continue to stay with the band and go to every tour. And it's a good reason why I like the main show to be separate from the encore, and reserve the encore to treat audiences to a small nostalgia trip.

Vive le difference!!
the red terror is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|