View Single Post
Old 04.22.2014, 03:22 PM   #507
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
young folks do not "determine" programming. programming on radio is specifically aimed to shove acts down young people's throats. face has talked about this.

Face is just being bitter because they never invited him to that "radio/MTV rap" club even though he has rapped with all of the biggest names of the 1990s (hence why he deserved to be on my b-list top 5)!! The reality is that people just didn't care. He DID catch a little bit of radio fame, at precisely the time when he could have taken off! Yet, people just didn't bite on it. It doesn't negate his talent, but it is just a reality of the situation. Scarface wasn't entirely pushed out by the record industry, people in general were just not feeling it!

Come to think of it, I think I put Scarface in my top-5 of local rap heroes and rightfully so..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
By the way, I think we should distinguish between B-List rappers whose legacy is guest appearances in nationally popular groups and those whose career was merely limited to the local scene.

My top 5 locals only?

(1) Scarface: Yeah. This dude is BAD! But really, outside of Houston and LA never caught on. Should. THIS is still perhaps the single best rap song ever released. Cadence. Substance. Delivery. Beats. Samples. What more do we need?

(2) DJ Quik: While Quik did get some national attention, realistically he was more like a traditional B-List supporting rapper who made a career rapping on other peoples' tracks BUT in LA dude is definitely a certified veteran legend.

(3) The Grouch: This dude was the antithesis to Eminem, he was a white rapper that surprised everybody. A Yay Area staple that didn't translate well out of the underground scene. Even in LA folks be like, "Who?"

(4) Silkk the Shocker: I also really loved Silkk, but this dude really didn't get big beyond the New Orleans area, even when No Limit was at its 1999 peak. Still, a solid and very original a rapper, and whose solo releases were actually better than his guest appearances.

(5) Twista: While for a brief window it appeared that Twista might jump on Death Row bandwagon and catch fame, he came a few years too late, especially as The Chronic 2001 essentially destroyed Death Row's attempt at an early 2000s revival. Twista was big in Chi-town though, and the dude had a lot of unique skills and an original persona. I personally was digging it.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|