View Single Post
Old 01.10.2011, 06:10 AM   #84
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Because Nirvana were a lot more creative and interesting in many of their songs than something like the straightforward, predictable Nevermind (aside from a few moments). Again, it goes back to ... I found this band sorta boring, and then I heard stuff like the main riff from NEGATIVE CREEP, or I really listened closely to LITHIUM and was like "hm that's kind of a weird/ugly little guitar thing he's doing in the verses there". I guess I was more attracted to the "wrong" aspect of the band (the "Wrong" notes and all that), not so much the... UNPLUGGED IN NEW YORK side. But ultimately, I think that's what makes the band so compelling and important; they were a pop band, but they also had their noisiness, as well as moments when they just rocked, and so on. There were many shades to their sound -- I think if a person were to just focus on most of Nevermind, they wouldn't be able to see all that. But, eh, the fact that so many people from so many walks of life like different aspects of this band is what makes them so compelling, in the end.
I think also, the mostly music is much more interesting, if it is complicated. There are too many artist in world that make boring pop songs. But if you have ability to make interesting pop songs, it is true blessing! I think Cobain had it, Lennon-McCartney had it, Bowie had it, and Morrissey and Robert Smith still have it (any others not come into my mind at this moment)! And in Nirvana case I think they werenīt as good in their complicated songs as for example Sonic Youth.

On the other hand, there is also bands whose complexity seems to be the whole meaning of the band (for example Dream Theater). I donīt like the music thatīs meaning is show your skills.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|