View Single Post
Old 09.23.2016, 10:09 AM   #19643
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I saw that Dredd as a pure adrenaline vehicle, ,like the awesome mad max with that one armed bandit lady....

Yeah, quite right. But like Fury Road, it was also just a really nicely styled, high quality production all around.

I actually didn't think the new Mad Max was quite as good as the rest of the world seemed to. I mean... it's great that it received a Best Picture nom, but I'm not sure it totally deserved it. As an adrenaline flick it was great. And the cinematography and effects were exceptional, but I don't think Charlize Theron necessarily deserved a fucking acting nomination for a film where there was so little acting.

I realize that the entire reason the Academy makes an effort to not exclude extremely well made action and sci-fi films is a direct result of the fallout over The Dark Knight not getting a Best Pic. nomination simply because it came it didn't quite get enough votes to make it into the top 6 films of that year. So I appreciate their paying homage to that film's greatness by making sure that #7-10 films have a chance for getting a nod. But honestly, if they wanted to make up for shafting TDK, they should have given Dark Knight Rises a nomination, or better yet Interstellar. I can't believe Interstellar didn't make it. What in the mighty fuck was THAT all about?

In short, while I'm glad more films have a chance to be "Oscar nominees," no amount of after the fact rejiggering can make up for Dark Knight'a snubbing. They'll have to just live with the embarrassment of that, and eat shit over it, until the end of time.

I would have rather seen The Force Awakens get a nod than Mad Max. That was a fun film, but it had no business in the non-editing/effects/sound categories.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|