View Single Post
Old 11.25.2016, 02:42 PM   #49307
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Back in the AMR days (that's the alt.music.replacements Usenet group, you damn "social media" kids), there was a recurring discussion: take "Dose Of Thunder" and "Lay It Down Clown" out, add "Can't Hardly Wait" and "Nowhere Is My Home" instead, and you got THE GREATEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF EVERYTHING. But then again, sheer perfection wasn't exactly the Mats' way, was it?

Yeah, starting the "'Mats should have..." game seems never ending.

I understand the suggested track re-arranging, but TIM is so good I don't think the dumb throwaways really detract. I find them nice breaks from an album which has some pretty melancholy things going on in the lyrics. "Little Mascara," for one, is positively heartbreaking. Yet rocking. And catchy. Masterpiece!

--Put on Don't Tell A Soul, which was so much better than I remembered. Too polished, a few dated late-80s production choices, but a good batch of tunes. Not thrilling, but not crap. Better than anything by Goo Goo Dolls, Gin Blossoms, etc. A high watermark in a very shallow pool, I guess.

--Then I put on All Shook Down, which was so much worse than I remembered. The slow ones are good, but that's about it. The shout of "One! Two!" at the very start of "Someone Take the Wheel" is probably the most exciting moment of the record. I can't believe I ever loved this boring ass album.

They were my favorite band for awhile. Then I stopped listening for about a decade. Dipping back in (probably because of TROUBLE BOYS) has been a lot of fun. My memory of the records has been faulty so far.

Gonna listen to STINK in a little while. Never my favorite, so I'm excited to find out if the older, wiser me digs it more than the younger, dumber me did.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|