View Single Post
Old 02.26.2011, 03:30 AM   #32
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
if i recall, 7 and 8 were released about 3 months apart? i recall thinking the format-specific nature of each release was intended to balance the other (in other words, when it was clear 8 would not have a vinyl release, they opted to make 7 vinyl only). i have no idea if that was actually the reasoning, and since 6 was CD only a few years earlier i'm guessing my theory holds no water... (note that 7 is also the only 2-track SYR, so it seems perfectly designed for vinyl - i imagine they started w/ the idea of "J'Accuse Ted Hughes" on the A side and then sought out a complimentary b-side, but again, i have no idea..)

i remember getting both of these in a package the last time i moved - i spent a day driving my shit back and forth from house to house on a hot summer day that was particularly tourist-heavy, listening to SYR8 on repeat. it almost kept me sane.

Maybe SYR7 only in vinyl is kind of "manifesto for vinyls". I have always thought SY members are also vinyl freaks. If I remember correct, geffen refused to release Sonic albums in vinyl after NYC ghosts, so Thurston put his own Goofinīlabel to release them in vinyl. And I think itīs one reason why they left geffen (not the only one).

It has been irritadet me a bit because nowdays people automatically think, the official release is always on cd. To me itīs still vinyl versions that I think itīs the "official" versions. Of course I have also cd:s, but if some album doesnīt come in vinyl, I very often donīt buy it immeaditely, I buy it maybe later and then itīs often also cheaper.

I think this nowdays "technical ecstasy" has gone too far. There was only one format about thirty years, cassette came in the seventies. Now in about twenty years has come cd, dvd, Mp3, Blue Ray. Of course itīs also good thing that technic goes forward, but nowdays I think itīs very big part of market economy and this things are made just big companies to make more money. And I think itīs no good because thereīs also nature and people of the develop countries suffering. So I donīt have every modern equipments, I have no dvd-player or even television and microwave nomdays.

Of course the format is in the end quite the same. I truly thinks in vinyl is better sounding, but if there is not coming vinyl versions from SYR6 and SYR8, my world doesnīt turn around.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|