View Single Post
Old 12.26.2016, 09:03 PM   #53
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Where's Oh No? I thought you were into Lanza. What about DJ Earl? No love?
it's on there...?? the earl record was really good but it just slipped my mind, obviously not a lot of floor-focused stuff on there which isn't to say I didn't enjoy any but it's just not at the forefront of my mind like all that stuff is. obviously forgetting a lot on there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight
nice list. haven't hear Autechre, haven't heard Dead C, haven't heard new Pita (is new Pita good?) and I HAVE to listen to Haino O'Rourke Ambarchi, therefore no mention of these on my list.
these records are all pretty similar in that they're veterans all working within singular niches they've carved out:
- the æ doesn't necessarily doing anything radically different, it's the same reverbed-out sound they've been working with for the last couple releases but they stretch out far further than they ever have, finally establish themselves firmly in the traditions they directly spawned;

- the dead c record is essentially an expansion of their 2013 live set with themes from their last lp and some gate releases from a couple of years back but sounds exactly as they should;

- the pita record is similar to æ in that it's rehberg returning to show up the 'rave abstractionists' with a far more coherent version of that concept, slots in very comfortably with his earlier stuff but updates the template for the post-rave paradigm;

- and the haino/o'rourke/ambarchi record isn't necessarily as fresh as what they were doing on other recent sets but slots it all together so beautifully and expands their palette a fair bit in the process, remarkably composed for free improv.

like if you'd have told me all these acts would be putting out records in a certain timeframe I would always comfortably say that it'd be on high rotation for me because there's a commonality in them refining a certain approach over time, furrowing into some set of ideas behind music which I can really get behind.

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|