View Single Post
Old 05.05.2006, 01:39 PM   #14
khchris(original)
100%

khchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asses
1. Pitchfork-this was the band John & Rick(jehu/hotsnakes) were in BEFORE Drive Like Jehu or RFTC ever existed. I heard there was a PITCHFORK REUNION recently at LIVEWIRE(a bar in SD)...that really pisses me off.

The album is Eucalyptus and if you want a more melodic Jehu, Pitchfork is right there, I think I will always feel impartial to Pitchfork only because they were one of the first SD bands I got into when I grew up.

2. Drive Like Jehu also did the "BULLET TRAIN TO VEGAS" seven-inch, which is fantastic.

3. The S/T blows away Yank Crime by a mile. Anyone who got into Jehu with the 1st LP before Yank Crime will always side with the S/T...it was a much better album. Yank Crime seemed a bit unresolved, actually Yank Crime was considered a "let down" by most locals in SD, but that's just how it was back then. Yank Crime did have Rob Crow(Pinback/Heavy Vegetable/millions of other bands) sing on "Luau". To me, "Do you compute" just didn't really belong on the album, New Math & Rome Plows are the 2 best tracks...I would say there were probably 2 songs on there that I just did not like at all, but on the S/T one, I can't think of a dull song on there.

4. Hot Snakes > Jehu live...without question. Gar on bass made things much more fun and interesting than Mike K did. Hot Snakes looked like they were having fun, I never saw Rick have so much fun live, not even when he was in Jehu.

5. Gar Wood was in a band called FISHWIFE, who were truly amazing. If you get a chance, check out "RETALIN"...that album was incredible it was their last real official album before Ryan Foxe(singer) moved to NY and started a band called THE LET DOWNS. Fishwife did release a compilation of singles after "retalin" but it wasn't as good. Fishwife's 1st album "SNAIL KILLER" is brilliant as well.

6. TANNER-this was the band Gar, Matt, and Chris started after Fishwife, basically the same band except Gar took vocals and stayed on guitar. Personally, I always thought their 7-inchers were better(especially the GUARD DOG one). Very cool band if you're into those SD guitar hyper bands.

7. Gar > John (as a guitarist), but that's just my opinion.

8. The Sultans are fucking great! I like some of the Sultans stuff more than some of the Hot Snakes material.

9. Back Off Cupids-it was an early John sideproject, not a very good one though.

10. RFTC-Paint as a fragrance and Circa Now! are always going to be my 2 favorite. Paint as a fragrance was very different though.

OK, now I'm waiting for KKKCHRIST to make his, "oh, I live in SD" comment!
khchris(original) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|