View Single Post
Old 05.01.2009, 10:41 AM   #104
DaveMartin
little trouble girl

DaveMartin kicks all y'all's assesDaveMartin kicks all y'all's assesDaveMartin kicks all y'all's assesDaveMartin kicks all y'all's assesDaveMartin kicks all y'all's assesDaveMartin kicks all y'all's assesDaveMartin kicks all y'all's assesDaveMartin kicks all y'all's assesDaveMartin kicks all y'all's assesDaveMartin kicks all y'all's assesDaveMartin kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrei
That's the point, cause in my opinion i bought the stream with bonus 3 LPs. If i had the LP i wouldn't give a fuck if they sold the stream even in 32 kbps. But as a SY fan, who paid some money in advance, i find myself stuck with a crapy recording of an 128 stream, while matador is making more money with my money and tells me not to whine about and wait till they will get rich.
Well, I'm sorry you feel cheated, but Buy Early Get Now has always been and will continue to be focused on the physical rather than the digital, but are you telling me that if the early stream of the album was not a part of BEGN that you would not have bought into it?

Quote:
And then, whats the point of a release date? I don't get it?!?
Everyone should understand that now the album is RELEASED (in 128 Kbps).

Ok, I've been holding off with this rant because it seems so "duh" but here it is. As a label you set a release date so you can focus the energy of your staff, your band, press, radio, TV opportunities, touring, the actual manufacturing of the physical products etc. etc. towards that date and the relatively close time afterwards. This has proven time and again to be the most effective way of selling the most records possible.
A band like Sonic Youth is capable of getting a lot of coverage from what are mostly very conservative media outlets and a lot of those have a pretty long lead time for deadlines. Therefore, if you want the record / band covered in those places and you want that coverage to be as effective as possible you have to have a finished product well in advance of your release date.
With the advent of all new technology you now have records leaking and being available online sometimes months before their actual release date. We, of course, realized that the stream would be ripped right away and that is one of the reasons that it is only 128k/bit. There is a bit of a leap of faith that we are taking here where we hope that the vast majority of people aware of and taking part in BEGN realize that the actual product will sound a lot better than the stream (and we even hope that those folks searching out the torrents also realize this.) and they'll be able to "be cool" about it. We also realize that it is impossible for everyone to "be cool."
So the record is not released it is leaked. Those things are very different.

Quote:
I fully understand the "preview" "gives you an insight on the album" thing, but that it is just lie from the label. They knew that the stream would have been recorded and spread arround. It is just something to make you forget that you have paid something in advance and that they are using your money in the meantime.
No, it isn't a "lie". It is what it is, we've been up front with dates and time frames for when things would happen so I'm sorry if you have buyer's remorse right now, but being an educated consumer is the best way to avoid this in the future.
DaveMartin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|