Thread: Religion thread
View Single Post
Old 11.06.2017, 09:57 AM   #72
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i live in a ranch and have guns and everyone has them around here— there are no cops

but for fucks sakes i wish it was a little harder to get one. i would not have minded at least taking a test, like i did to get my driver’s license. everyone around here drives a truck too— but needs a license.

not that passing a test would prevent this sort of insanity, but— man.

yes yes i get it- it’s a right not a privilege. but still. wtf happened with “well regulated militia”.

Well, the country kept the “militia” part, the NRA turned away from its original objective and became the world’s most influential lobbying group, and “regulated” was slowly turned into a four-letter word by every republican since 1980. So we’re left with small groups of outspoken, eager, organized and fully legal domestic terrorists, and God knows how many lone wolf would-be murderers, and the regulative ability of the government has been amputated.

Again, I hate guns but I’m not about to suggest “taking them away.” I’m goddamn glad certain people in my life own them. But I do not consider gun ownership a “right,” even if it technically is one. It’s not inalienable. It can be taken away. Unlike, say, the guarantee of treatment at an ER, which cannot be taken away and is given to everyone from homeless people to death row inmates, yet can’t be considered a “right” because whatever fucking reason is currently being taunted by insane people. Hm.

And yes, the idea that operating a vehicle or owning a business, or fucking HUNTING is more regulated than actual gun ownership makes no goddamn sense. I am surrounded by people who hunt, it’s part of life, so is preparation and self-defense... but anyone who opposes stricter gun control/regulation legislation — opposes tests to weed out the potentially unfit to own, or background checks to weed out individuals with histories of mental illness or violence, is not really worried about protecting gun rights because that position is simply shaking a powder keg that will one day explode in an even more major way. If we people really wanted to protect the supposed sanctity of gun ownership, they’d want to make damn sure guns never fell into the wrong hands, by ANY MEANS necessary.

Fucking painkillers are in the verge of being labeled a national emergency. Painkillers! But NEVER guns. If someone wants to get fucked up and kill themselves, we need to make it hard(er) for EVERYONE to get access to *literal medicine* but if someone wants to purchase a weapon to slaughter 50 people, no such luck. Just lots and lots of motherfucking “thoughts and prayers.”

ETA: Just to be clear, I’m surrounded by people who own guns. I understand the conservational necessity of hunting. I understand the practical necessity of self-defense. I may be personally anti-gun, but I am not politically anti-gun. Just pro-sanity.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|