Thread: Dropping out...
View Single Post
Old 01.04.2007, 11:45 PM   #32
qprogeny79
stalker

qprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's asses
so you're dropping out of oxford?

...uh, can i take your place? we have people here in the US who went to oxford . . . they're called rhodes scholars. as in, some of the most brilliant and accomplished people on the planet.

i say endure it. it is one of the most well-respected, oldest, and academically rigorous schools on the entire planet, and if you get out of there in four years the world will be in the palm of your hands. seriously, think about the rest of your life: is it worth four years of relative unhappiness for the unfathomable returns that will come to you with a degree from oxford? even if it does end up sucking (and, for the record, you come to this conclusion on the basis of ONE semester there -- nothing's saying you won't find some people there you'll really like and with whom you'll be friends for the rest of your life), the benefits of being so extraordinarily well-educated far, far outweigh the costs.

let me tell you a story. i'm a senior at the college of william and mary in virginia. damn good school, and pretty well-known (my mom has british friends who have heard of it) . . . but doesn't have quite the ring of, say, yale. at any rate, i'm applying to law school, and just for the hell of it, i'm applying to harvard and columbia. my stats are rather low by their standards -- good, good enough even to give me a good shot at getting into some of the top ten law schools in the country -- but nowhere near that good. i did it on a sort of lottery mentality -- however infinitesimal my chances of getting in there, they are reduced to zero by not applying. but let me tell you, if by some freak off-chance i get into harvard, i will never, ever, EVER leave the place -- i don't care if i find cambridge, massachusetts to be the armpit of the universe. for whatever reason harvard law graduates are somehow deemed the gods of the universe -- the best and brightest employers out there come looking for you, merely in virtue of the fact that you attend that illustrious institution. an acceptance letter from the school is essentially a ticket to automatic success, absolutely anywhere.

you, ma'am, currently attend the harvard of the united kingdom -- perhaps even better than harvard in terms of intellectual rigor. if you drop out of that, if you pass up that kind of astounding opportunity, the likes of which have rarely been enjoyed by anyone throughout the entire course of human history and which is not likely to come your way again, you are, in a word, insane. completely, utterly, and incurably insane. end of story.
qprogeny79 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|