View Single Post
Old 02.16.2008, 08:02 AM   #67
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Good call on Nico. That voice is pain personified in a pagan (the religious meaning) sound. If the combined voices of Nico and Diamanda Galas were to morph into one single whole and made to sing what goes on into the human psyche in an official way, the sky would be a permanent shade of grey and the water from the well would almost always be tempeted to poison us, instead of quenching our thirst. Two unique singers that make my soul feel dirty inside like no other.

Oh yes indeed. Two entirely different singers, but they get to the same parts of the brain (the 'this is too painful I AM IN LOVE gGggRRGHHHhhshsh' bit). Nico's another example of what I'm gashing on about above - although her voice is a bit closer to minor-key plainsong.

Marras - have you heard any Hildgaard von Bingen? I think you'll love it, I'll up some for you if you haven't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Actually, these are both brilliant examples too. David Tibet's voice is one step short of sounding fully annoying because of the fact that he uses the old trick of going for a ''recited'' intonation to his semi-singing. Lou Reed made an entire career out of that, with various degrees of success or failure. Jandek, in my not so humble opinion, is better than Reed and Tibet at using that trick. In fact his voice is perfectly suited to the entirely ridiculous* music that it sits upon.

* I trust you to understand my use of the adjective above in this context.

Yes, quite. The first time I heard C93 I thought it was a joke; I listened to them over and over because I thought it was the worst thing I'd ever heard. And then something flipped and I love them now - probably something to do with familiation?

Jandek is a better example of ridiculous, or surreal, than a million comedy ska-punk groups. Nail = Head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|