Thread: live songs
View Single Post
Old 08.04.2010, 05:48 AM   #42
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
Take a song like, I don't know.. "Tunic". At this point, that song is 20 years old, and while they may have played it every night for about a year and a half, that's still two decades ago. Let's say somebody suggests that they relearn it, all four of them still have to agree that they want to play it again, and then go back and see if they actually remember how to play it. Given the wealth of material composed between now and then, the odd tunings, the fact that they haven't touched the song in 20 years and may not even remember it, and that some of them might not even like it anymore, it doesn't shock me that it's tough for them to choose 'old songs' to reintroduce into the set.

I imagine, but could be wrong, that all it takes is one member to veto a song to keep it from the sets. Or, alternately, one member from being able to play their part properly. I would be fascinated to sit in on an SY pre-tour rehearsal someday...watching them trying to remember "100%" at a soundcheck four years after they'd last played it was pretty eye-opening, and that's a pretty simple song.
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|