View Single Post
Old 11.24.2016, 03:04 AM   #20073
HenryHill51
little trouble girl

HenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's asses
Few things I've seen:

1. The Love Witch (2016)- Great to watch a star like Samantha Robinson being born. The sheer embodiment of carnal treachery, perfectly sculptured cheekbones and all. If you like 70's grindhouse or Elvira Presents films, this pastiche with intelligence is for you.

2. Arrival (2016)- Denis Villeneuve is, quite simply, working on a different level than most filmmakers right now. The perfect match of human fiction with sci-fi brain melt. People are calling this the closest we have to Tarkovsky-esque sci-fi and I tend to agree.

3. The Edge of Seventeen (2016)- Equal parts formulaic and refreshing, held together by a tremendous Hailee Stendfield performance. As if we already didn't know she'd be great after "True Grit".

4. Elle (2016)- A woman (Isabelle Huppert) whose more comfortable buying pepper spray and sharp objects than groceries. A perverse, complex delight from Dutch auteur Paul Verhoeven.

5. Los Punks: We Are All We Have (2015)- Documentary about the grassroots underground latino punk scene in Los Angeles. Could have been great, but it gets stuck in boring profiles and brain-fried people sloshing about.

6. Black Rose Mansion (1969)- The always interesting Kinji Fukusaku attempts film noir with a cabaret singer who seems to attract and destroy every man she meets. Psychedelic 60's Japanese stuff. Way cool.

7. Doctor Strange (2016)- Walked out halfway through. I just can't take these CGI superhero films anymore.

8. The Cut (2014)- Turkish filmmaker Fatih Akin's ode to Elia Kazan with a sprawling exploration of one man's survival from the Armenian genocide and his propulsive search for his missing twin daughters. Sad, humane and infuriating.

9. No Blade of Grass (1970)- Surprisingly brutal Cornel Wilde apocalypse film that doesn't shy away from the rape of a young girl, the main character murdering when needed and a pretty hopeless trek across a collapsing society. Not on DVD but can be found on the world wide web if you look hard enough.

10. Salute (1929)- Working my way through all of John Ford's films and this one, so far, is the worst. The worst, Jerry! The Worst!
HenryHill51 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|