View Single Post
Old 02.12.2017, 10:23 AM   #9
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Also, demonrail666, Ben Frost is categorized as electronic on, like, streaming services and shit, but he is REALLY more of a noise collagist. Again, his music runs adjacent to what I'd call "harsh noise," though if I recall some purists on this board took issue with that a few years back (fuck 'em, says I). I guess if I wanted to get someone who's not into electronic music to check him out, I'd refer to his music as "analogue maximalism." If you can imagine what the whole "digital maximalism" thing sounds like (Rustie's Glass Swords, JUSTICE, Kanye's MBDTF and, even more so,Watch the Throne, Hudson Mohawks, etc.) imagine what that kind of sonic multi-tiered assault might sound like coming from an avant-garde basement tinkerer who values composing over simply "recording," has a thing for building his own chimeric instruments, and comes from a DIY/punk background.

A U R O R A is such a frenzied sensory overload that when it settles into a kind of consistent rhythm, as it does from time to time, it's beauty can be frankly disarming. It's one of the many "electronic" albums of the last few years that almost doesn't even fit within any genre beyond... well, Ben Frost.

Listen to "Venter"from A U R O R A and you'll hear music that has as much in common sonically with SWANS as it does with anything under the "electronic" umbrella.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|