View Single Post
Old 04.04.2017, 10:38 AM   #248
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by candymoan
they recently opened for pj harvey..
i can understand the atmosphere and the attitude, but in the end - too slow paced for my taste, sorry...

Hm.

I get it. Low is certainly not for every occasion. You (I, one) can't just throw on their discography on shuffle any old time. It's definitely slow, moody, tends to be more than a little melancholy. But as a band with a "sound" -- as opposed to a band that aspires to have multiple styles -- they are simply one of the best at doing what they do.

I think there's enough variation within Low's formula to make their music reliably interesting. Maybe not an ideal choice if you're all pumped to see someone like PJ Harvey live (strange pairing, sonically speaking), but if what you want is excellent musicianship that blends classic Americana with the cutting edge of punk-informed post-rock, then Low is the long-reigning king of the scene. In the studio, they're really a force of nature. Immense thought goes into their arrangements and productions.

I don't know if you listen to their records, or if catching their live show was your first exposure, but they've been on an excellent run for many years now. My favorite album is C'mon.

I think they might work better in a live setting performing with a band like Wilco. Certainly Mono is an excellent fit. Fucking excellent. Polly Jean works on a completely different energetic wavelength, so I can see how they might disappoint if you saw them opening for her frenetic, glorious ass.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|