Thread: Teenage Riot
View Single Post
Old 01.31.2011, 04:06 PM   #14
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

hevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
'Actually learn to play an instrument well' - have you ever tried to use a sampler? I play quite a few instruments to a high standard (guitar, violin, clarinet, percussion) but making dance music is completely beyond me. It's a radically different way of working, but by no means subservient to other modes of production.

It worries me that your old-world attitude is very common amongst producers. It always amazes me how, in the 21st-century, there are still troglodytes out there who think that the guitar is somehow more 'real' than other instruments (especially given that guitarists are notoriously the least likely to understand the absolute barest rudiments of music theory).

I use a sampler every day (literally), all it takes is a few button pushes. You are NOT a musician if all you use is a sampler but it is a great tool in the whole song writing process. You need to learn to play an instrument that can make noise without electricity to be considered a musician for fuck's sake. And you need to be able to keep time without a computer quantizing everything.

Making dance music and hip hop beats with a computer/sampler is pretty mind numbingly easy.
hevusa is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|