View Single Post
Old 02.08.2021, 12:53 PM   #3331
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i don't wanna argue with anyone or anything but i had the experience of loving this at the beginning and then quickly getting fed up from it. it just became fucking tiresome. i am sick of dumb "superpowers".

also to note that this might have been joss whedon's idea but it was i think his little brother who ran the show?

anyway for me some great characters were destroyed, some tropes were flogged to death, and the rambling story became ridonculous and tiresome.

maybe it's because this show was subsidiary to the superhero movies and couldn't define things in its own terms? i don't know. i just know that i started "wow, cool" and a couple of seasons later i went "aw, fuck this!"

I'm halfway through Season 3 and I'm still loving it. I actually thought it made some of the movies better by expanding on the universe. For instance, I really liked the setup of Winter Soldier, but (SPOILERS ahead) I was disappointed they resorted to "Oh, S.H.I.E.L.D is only corrupted, because some old super-bad Nazi organization took over. They can't act morally reprehensible on their own". But then I saw the show elaborate on the whole scenario and it seemed more nuanced. I like how it didn't just portray Hydra as simply that old super-bad Nazi-trope. They actually updated it into some sort of concept, almost an allegory, really. It's a mindset that preys on the desires of insecure reactionary types and offers them a narrative makes them feel like they have a purpose. And I thought it excellently portrayed how many S.H.I.E.L.D agents already had that sort of mindset and didn't need much convincing.

I also love how uneasy the relationships between the characters seem to be at any given point. There's a certain tense atmosphere that feels palpable. As for the far-fetched plots: Well, it's a superhero-show. By definition, it already has to be a good bit far-fetched. I still feel like up until now, they made everything seem natural to the world that has been established in that cinematic universe. All within the bounds of suspension of disbelief so far.

I understand getting frustrated with the constant back-and-forth though. Lots of double-,triple-,quadruple-crossing and plenty of fakeout double-crossing. It doesn't always take its time to breathe and may have a bit too many elements from time to time, which indeed can be exhausting. The bare plots, not considering the character dynamics, didn't exactly re-invent the wheel, that's true too. So yeah, that complaint I understand. It didn't ruin my experience though. I feel like my appreciation of the nuanced characters has carried me through this easily. But I see your point of critique and understand why people may not like it for that reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _tunic_
Anyway, I do like the main characters, but story wise it's sometimes annoying how far fetched the storylines go.

To me, the main characters and their interpersonal dynamics are the absolute key here. They may be agents of this super-clandestine organization working with/for/against powered individuals and folks with Alien-DNA, but a lot of their struggles with each other - or themselves - is very relatable. And hell, the emergence of all the fear-mongering and manipulative groups in this show - be they Hydra, or later on The Watchdogs or whatnot - just seems a bit too relevant in the times we're living in right now. This, much more so than the basic plots or storylines (big evil - we must fight it - but oh, no, they have a secret ace and oh no, someone we took for a friend is actually a foe. or is s/he?), is what really fascinates me about it and makes me want to see more.

Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|