View Single Post
Old 03.23.2019, 01:56 PM   #2575
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
is he a conscience developing? i don’t know. he was always a nice guy, if you remember he supposedly took care of his aunt. his parents are a bit sociopathic i think. you ever read “people of the lie”? they remind me of that. he’s nice to his little brother.

but at the same time he’s always been corrupt. he’s a degenerate addict, he’s in a criminal enterprise way before walter shows up, then he has a number of deaths on him. yes, he has limits, and those limits get tested, but he’s no saint. and when he fucks up he runs away to having a constant party which numbs him. that’s not responsible. when he goes to rehab he “accepts himself” as “the bad guy” and games the meetings to sell meth. he’s also responsible for his girlfriend dying—he gets her off recovery, they blackmail walt together, etc.

like everyone else he’s corrupt and like everyone else he has limits, but he’s just weaker (and dumber) than the rest. ok he’s not completely dumb, he has some good ideas, but lacks discipline, consistency, good sense, etc. he fucks up often and endangers everyone.

sure he was trying to quit the business but what was he gonna do with his millions? snort them...? he ends up caged instead. sure, walt is the worst piece of shit at that point, so jesse only looks good by comparison.

jesse is chaotic evil — and weak

mike is lawful neutral — and strong

im classifying him as neutral because all he’s trying to do is look after his grandaughter while keeping casualties low. he’s trustworthy, honorable, loyal, does not sell out his guys to save money....so the good and the evil neutralize each other, lol.

if he’s neutral where everyone else is evil he’s therefore the relative good guy

Maybe I need to rewatch the show.

But I saw Jesse emerging as a Jiminy Cricket in the last few seasons. He’s a professional victim, for sure, but he wanted out. Everything he did weighed on him and he had to constantly be cajoled back into things by Walt.

So maybe I’m confusing his weakness and constant victimhood for conscience, but I still found myself wanting him to “win” and Walt to “lose” for the last stretch of the show.

Also, it’s picky, but I’m not sure how common meth overdoses are... not very. Like cocaine, probably. Maybe less lethal. Not a substance that makes it harder and harder for your body to work properly like heroin. So I’m not sure you can attribute countless deaths to Jessse because he slanged crystal.

You can *most definitely* attribute countless deaths to Mike, who was shooting and killing motherfuckers Punisher-style long before BB, and damn near killed both the main characters on severa occasions.

I’ll agree Mike’s lawful evil, but I’m not sure about Jesse being chaotic evil at the end of the show.

Also, Walt is responsible for Jessica Jones girl’s death. Directly. Not Jesse. He’s not responsible for her relapse, either. She was a recovery fraud with one foot off the wagon, looking for an excuse and Jesse presented one. And SHE is to blame for getting HIM into heroin. As much as anyone other than the person who decides to do something can be blamed for that thing being done.

Anywhooooo

Point is I think the character changed.

But then again, the ending is similar to the ending of Trainspotting, where it appears to be triumphant on the surface, but under the scrutiny of cold, hard reality, both Jesse and whatshisass from TS were probably heading right back into the mouth of the beast when the narrative ended.

Dunno.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|