View Single Post
Old 01.25.2007, 01:07 PM   #48
Malcolm81
little trouble girl

Malcolm81 kicks all y'all's assesMalcolm81 kicks all y'all's assesMalcolm81 kicks all y'all's assesMalcolm81 kicks all y'all's assesMalcolm81 kicks all y'all's assesMalcolm81 kicks all y'all's assesMalcolm81 kicks all y'all's assesMalcolm81 kicks all y'all's assesMalcolm81 kicks all y'all's assesMalcolm81 kicks all y'all's assesMalcolm81 kicks all y'all's asses
In 2000, I had just finished high school. I was very much into REM and disappointed with the direction they had taken, so I started exploring new things. I came to Eels, Pavement, Flaming Lips and more. I read an interview with Stephen Malkmus about a show, some read-poetry-and-play-music event he had been part of, and he said something about how the event was unfair because Thurston Moore was in it too, implying he couldn't compete with this great Thurston guy. So I googled for Thurston Moore, read about Sonic Youth, got interested, found out they had a new album out and downloaded NYC Ghosts & Flowers to see what it would sound like.
I listened to it at night and at the end of it I was really, really scared.

I asked my uncle (who has a big music collection) about SY and he gave me Daydream Nation explaining that it wasn't really that great, actually quite boring. It took me several months to get into DN, song by song. But when I did, I was completely hooked and started buying everything else they had published. They're still my most favorite band.
Malcolm81 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|