View Single Post
Old 04.24.2017, 09:19 AM   #104
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by >TNS<
Turn on, Cusp and Aphrodite are pretty good. Better than I expected. One recurrent issue with late SY and the solo lps of both LR and TM so far has been, for me at least, that songs in terms of chord progression move too fast into resolution, or whatever's the term for this, ie the tensions are resolved way too early, as a given. This is one major distinction with the classical SY material, where the musical tension was much more prominent and held on in a fruitful way, most of the time. They got older and mellowed out I guess.

I get what you're saying. The chord progressions and tempos in general, if not the chords themselves, grew much more "normal" over time. Look at "Incinerate." The Sonic Youth of 1986, and even 1998/2000 would never have recorded a song like that. I don't dislike it, and it's catchy, but it sounds more "indie rock-y" than Sonic Youth-y.

The tensions on Bad Moon Rising and i]Evol[/i] and Sister sometimes NEVER really resolved. Or they did, only to fall apart or explode into every direction ("Tuff Gnarl"). I think some of this spirit was still with them on Murray Street and Nurse, but the last two albums sounded a bit like the SY equivalent of "Touch of Grey."

Still good stuff. Just not revolutionary.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|