View Single Post
Old 04.22.2006, 07:47 PM   #39
bytheriver
bad moon rising

bytheriver is just really nicebytheriver is just really nicebytheriver is just really nicebytheriver is just really nice
Because I'm fundamentally a hypocrite, I like soft drinks, I dont buy gallons of the stuff but you're right it is flawed. If I was to boycott all products with unethical associations, and theoretically ioften think thats what you should do, then Id be giving up a lot of my favourite things like cigarrettes for starters.
I also think theres a difference between drinking the occasional coke and using your image to endorse it to a much wider population, not that I have that option but ethically its in a different league.
And thinking on Coke has a bottling plant in Palestine and is one of the few foreign investors there, which is pretty good of them as thats an awfully deprived area.
And I criticised him, but I'm not boycotting him, similar to my approach to coke so at least theres consistency in my wishy washyness.

Oh and yeah Gap was using sweatshop labour in their clothes manufacture, as was most major clothing manufacturers and brands but after No Logo and a lot of activists publicised that fact it become really bad branding to have that sort of thing associated with them so they improved. Gaps actually pretty ethical nowadays.
bytheriver is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|