Thread: Why vinyl?
View Single Post
Old 05.29.2009, 10:01 AM   #50
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Terminal Pharmacy said this better than I ever could.
If you have a good system, the difference is obvious.
If you don't care about "sound" or "art objects," go ahead and listen to sizzly compressed files, but don't cry about it when they all go away at once when your device fails.

This reminds me of another point I was going to say. I remember reading an article about how difficult it was to re-master Metal Machine Music. I also read something about Whitehouse having difficulties mastering some records and having to make the grooves wider, sacrificing length on LPs, simply because vinyl is a physical reproduction. I'm sure vinyl mastering has changed in the last n years, but I wonder if the difference between noise music in the 80s, 90s and 00s is not so much down to the technology but the mode of reproduction. The obvious answer is both and more, but I think mp3s definitely offer a more 'ideal' reproduction for noise artists today.

I only mention noise because I think a lot of the notion of 'perfect tone reproduction' etc is inverse in that scene, similarly to the preference for tapes in no-fi/ shitgaze (etc). So all I'm saying, again, is that there are some genres that rely upon a format - I think a lot of Grime relies upon it being played either in cars or on mobile phones, for instance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|