View Single Post
Old 03.23.2006, 03:54 AM   #53
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Quick responses to some of last night's comments before I go to work, if I may:

Quote:
Originally Posted by noumenal
Hip Priest - Hey, say what you will about The Beatles or Led Zep, but leave my Ludwig Van alone. I think that he deserves every bit of attention he has received. His music is one of the pinnacles of western art. Same goes for Mozart, whoever said that. However, I agree about the Dvorak and Britten. And I will add Tchaikovsky to the list.

Fair enough. The dude will be considered off target for a bit. I will say, however, that the adulation and time given to him means that composers such as Janacek get too little attention. So I'd maintain that he's overrated by comparison at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noumenal
Fred Cracklin - Don't ever speak to Hip Priest that way again. He is one of the best people on here and doesn't deserve that kind of bullshit. When you attack HP, you attack the entire forum.

Kind words, appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truncated
Was there "free lobotomy hour" on here today while I was on break??

Hey, i just saw an advert that said Free Health Care! By the time I found out what it consisted of...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dietzer123
yea, that was harsh. hip priest may be WAY off here but he posts with immense skill

Again, that's appreciated, dietzer. See, 'Fred' (or should we use your old board name?)? Dietzer can stand me having an opinion contrary to his own. Learn his skill. I happen to like a relatively small pool of artists from a very wide range of stytles, so I don't like lot of people that others will. But if some poster wants to come on here and say that all of my favourites are overrated, then that's his right. I'd explain why that's the case, 'Fred', but would there be any point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
to say the cream rises to the top in jazz needs to be put in perspective, and that is that jazz has had far longer than rock to be assessed and reassessed, allowing the greats to be hailed and the chaff to be forgotten. but look at contemporary jazz and wynton marsalis is the currently the most famous contemporary jazz musician in the world. unless you count nora jones or jaime cullum. and who remembers or talks about the white rip-off jazz groups of the 30s and 40s in the same way they talk about duke ellington or count basie?

I love this. Great point, yes indeed. We've had the chance to reassess and theorise and whatever. That'll also be why I struggled to compile a classical list of any length. Nice one Toliet & Bowels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneticKiss

The next idiot that calls Nirvana, Radiohead, or the Beatles overrated gets their jaw busted.

...I grant you that we're all entitled to our own opinions, but it seems like these guys get picked on more than anyone.

Nirvana-many of us wouldn't be SY fans without Nirvana...

...Radiohead-released two of the best albums of the 90s...

...The Beatles- they helped create guitar pop as we know it today...and besides, I think many people just say "Fuck the Beatles" so they can sound "punk", or "indie", or "underground" whatever. Grow up...

Aww, come on. Saying that you'll bust jaws and 'grow up' is as inflammatory as what you're objecting too, surely, Genetic? I can't stand Yorke's vocals on RAdiohead music, I actually think they'd be good as an instrumental band though. Nirvana and the Beatles have both had massive influence, it's undeniable. I like Nirvana (especially 'All Apologies') but I just can't take to the Beatles. Their influence is undeniable though, I never stated otherwise. I've lived a couple of miles from Liverpool all my life, and as a consequence have had to hear about The Beatles from that side of the river a little too much. THat has in part no doubt affected my opinion of them a little ie I'm just fed up of them! I kind of like a little of their later stuff though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
...anyway, what truly really galls me (& the reason i returned to post here) is the required combination of deep ignorance + infinite pretentiousness to call beethoven overrated. beethoven. i mean-- c'mon! ! you heard some excerpts of the 9th symphony in a bruce willis movie & now you're an expert? your cellphone has "ode to joy" as a ringtone and this lets you judge? no... sorry, no... just no.

go listen to the late quartets, or the kreutzer sonata, or his piano sonatas, or the eroica. aghhghghhghghghghghghg!! go listen!!! sheeesh... now if you have tolstoi's literary chops you get to criticize the kreutzer sonata, otherwise you're WAY out of your league... oh yeah chuck berry is exempt too & with good reason.

& la creme de la creme de la creme theory my ass-- no detail provided in the "explanation" of jazz. please explain la creme de la kenny g!

sorry i had to vent

Hey, no need to apologise, !@#$%!. but be fair, you don't know how much Beethoven I've heard. It happens to be a lot, and I'm just not too keen, that's all. And I would return to the overrated by comparison point. It's impossible to out of my league when it's about opinions - we can all state them. If there's ever a thread about the qualitative and quantatative aspects of LvB's work then I'll expand my points a little.

THe jazz thing, two points - Kenny G/Jamie Cullum etc etc etc are pop, not jazz, in my opinion. If I'd remembered Kenny G, he'd have been in the pop list with JC. Only non-jazz people think of them as jazz, really. They may have come from the jazz world but they are definitely now pop.

And, !@#$%!: I didn't expand on the jazz thing because this is a thread about overrated bands - it seemed out of place. I just thought I'd make the point that the jazz world seems to me more able to identify the greats. There is no jazz equivalent of the Foo Fighters. Start a jazz thread and, dude, I'll be in residence there!

You may not like all of my opinions, but you've got to like that multi-sourced split quoting!

Toodle pip, everyone. Time to go to work!

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|