View Single Post
Old 09.01.2007, 12:36 PM   #8
jetengine
children of satan

jetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's asses
--I know Sonic Youth is considered an EP, but I can't possibly think of --Confusion Is Sex as their first album. The self-titled record was very much a statement of intent, though Confusion is clearly a second one. The group has been reconciling the two ever since, which has created a dynamic I truly love.--

His Holiness, The Reverend Dead-Air

I've talked about this and related matters on several occasions. Sonic Youth's discography is one of those where everything becomes cloudy according to classification. The first self-titled release is offically classified as their first album, while SYR releases that run as much as 50+ minutes are classified only as EPs. Then there are both 7" and 12" singles and EPs that play at 33 RPM, a double album that plays at 45, a 10" that plays backwards, a cassette that plays backwards songs forward...(you get the picture). And I won't even bring up the subject of format availability: full-length albums and major EPs (e.g. Master-Dik, Diamond Sea, Silver Sessions, SYR6, Melbourne Direct, two of Thurston's recent solo pieces) released inexplicably only on CD or LP or Cassette.
jetengine is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|