View Single Post
Old 04.09.2006, 06:03 PM   #100
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by qprogeny79
i actually admire them for being so damn good at what they do (viz., keeping prices down) that they've been able to beat the hell out of all the competition.

"Keeping prices down." At this point they have no competition.

And how did they get to this point, good ol' American know-how and hard work? Yeah...... Corporations exist as agents for morally reprehensible acts - they displace responsibility. Wal-Mart fucks people and communities until they bleed to death.

Quote:
on the charge that they "put small businesses out of business," hey, that's how capitalism works.

That's how your version of capitalism works. I like capitalism, but it's important to remember that it isn't a religion and that without proper regulating, it creates a disaster. I won't elaborate.

Quote:
and regarding the charge that they don't provide enough health care for their workers, would you rather they pay benefits like gm and endure loss after loss under the extreme financial pressure?

yes.

Quote:
a consumer, being rational and therefore egoistic

Here's the gist: some A-Grade economics bullshit. It's these kind of core beliefs that get blown into ridiculous world-views, like Libertarianism.

Quote:
but being good under capitalism MEANS making money by offering something of value, and if you're good at that, that is the supreme reason to be admired.

I hope by "good", you don't mean "good." This is sickening. Am I the only one who finds this sickening? This is a measure of "good?" Shear lunacy.

Quote:
wal-mart, like any business, is in it for itself; it is not its brother's keeper, and no one may legitimately force it to be.

Exactly, it's not it's brother's keeper. A corporation is legally a person. A person without moral obligations. If Wal-Mart has no moral obligation to me, I have no moral obligation to Wal-Mart. It's that simple.

Quote:
if wal-mart treated its employees poorly, no one would want to work for it.

Everything in the world doesn't boil down to a simple equation. If you really believe this, you're crazy. Many people work at Wal-Mart because they have to. If you'd quit bowing to the alter of "choice," you'd see this. Personal choice is an illusion. Wal-Mart treats it's employees badly.

Quote:
haha . . . no, but i do read a fair bit of ayn rand.

Rand was a terrible writer, a poor philosopher, and a despicable human being.

Quote:
the only legitimate functions of a government are to protect its citizens' rights from foreign invaders and domestic criminals and to arbitrate disputes through a judiciary.

No surprise here.

Quote:
enron wasn't the result of corruption as much as stupidity.

No, Enron was unbelievably corrupt. There's no argument here. Debate over. Enron should have been a lesson to us all.

Quote:
yup, public schools should go.

This is what happens when you grasp on to an idea that seems to make common sense and then religiously apply that idea to every facet of life. The error comes when you can't see that the insanity of the results clues you in to the inherent problems within the original idea.

Quote:
soooo . . . can you tell i'm a philosophy major yet?

No, you sound like every other greedy prick I knew as an undergrad who read a couple books and went to a couple of classes and latched on to bad ideas that supported their fucked perspective.

Quote:
yeah, i'm going to law school (hopefully), so in a decade or so i should be able to buy and sell the lot of you.

You'll fit in in Law School. Sorry to be an asshole.....
noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|