View Single Post
Old 05.15.2014, 08:27 AM   #100
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
i dont think your post makes a lot of sense.

the journalism is not the bands fault. neither are the fans. music journalism is nonsense and i havent read it in years.

mark fisher could write about music, timothy morton can. apart from those guys, ive maybe skimmed a handful of other reviews in the past 5 years or so. its all bs.

its just hype and nonsense. it attempts to draw it into some sort of individual narrative, or it just says things that don't mean anything.

when you read those reviews, they're just like a little buzz of anticipatory hype to get you excited until you click play. that's all they really are. garbled bullshit most of the time.

music journalism lost the plot ages ago when the communal aspect of culture was lost to individualism. 99% of writers can't draw the music into any greater contexts than their own narcissistic yammerings.

of course, if they try to, they get immediately viciously attacked by the legion of "ITS JUST MUSIC MAN! JUST ENJOY IT AND SHUT UP!" people.

i actually dont think that review you linked to is all that bad.

most reviews now seem to be very self conscious and desperate to try and affect this particular poise in which the music is understood to not really mean anything and not be like deep or something which is incredibly incredibly threatening for the post modern consumer who wants his slop to be shorn of any wider context and just satiate his own solipsistic incoherent demands.

most of what is said about music online is just people showing off. something is not cool (because others believe it is and that's not cool) or something is great. either time, it's just the ego of the person that's really talking.

i still don't see how this is the musics fault though. also, bands have to play these games because they cant afford to live or make their music anymore.
dead_battery is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|