View Single Post
Old 10.24.2013, 08:26 PM   #1085
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I believe Consequence could've helped with some early stuff. But I feel like as Kanye progressed his own sound really came out. It becomes more obvious that you're hearing him. Maybe that's why I think each album is better than the one before it.

Here's what I'm thinking after more research: Kanye doesn't write his lyrics... Mostly because he just spits, like Jay-Z, who also not only bounces ideas off of others, but straight up lifts the odds phrase entirely from BIG, or from earlier incarnations of himself.

Consequence definitely helped with *ELEMENTS* of songs through MBDTF, but we're taking the most innocuous lines on the books here, like the "Will Smith and his son" bit from Champion. For most of his efforts he's credited. For some of the smaller ones, he's no... Why? Because when Ye said "that's good, can I use that?" Consequence was too stoned to give a fuck.

Kanye is certainly not trying to fuck anyone here. He credits his crew when they help with a song, but you can tell from his flow on the first here albums that he was mainly spitting off the cuff, or from memory. There's a delay in his timing that indicates that he was definitely taking the Jay-Z approach, but that he wasn't the emcee Jay was at the time (still isn't)

Rhymedfest contributed to Jesus Walks, not sure what, but so many if the songs are so particular to Kanye's own personality quirks, life story, and world view that I think Cons was trying to blow everything out of proportion by discrediting the man who sent his ass packing.

On 808's, he was going for a pop star, Prince/MJ vibe, so it makes sense that he would have writing help. But I don't believe anyone has ever written his songs for him, especially not on MBDTF, watch the throne, Cruel Summer, or Yeezus.

Also, how many rap artists can claim full ownership of every lyric in every song? Um... None. Rap writing is a different creative process than singer-songwriter shit. Emcees since the dawn of rap have been bouncing lines around with their crews. It's how the genre works.

Personally, I think Ye's lyrics are gold, but certainly not the defining trait f his music. Sometimes they're not even that good. Other times, they're perfect. But he does more for himself than just about anyone in the genre.

Also, the girl who's convinced that he's a black Britney Spears also made several comments about how he "only sings through a robot voice, I don't respect that, blah blah blah" which was never true entirely, and suggests that her knowledge of Kanye is dated and limited to pop culture cliche Cleveland show jokes about him.

Anyone with more info please speak up.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|