View Single Post
Old 06.27.2015, 11:00 AM   #47966
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
In Union live there are both, Bruford & White in drums. Even Bruford mostly take care of percussion works and White drums, I think itīs the best Yes live and specially drums are just dynamite! I think this is the best version of yours is no disgrace:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9jyNjyu7UA

okay, so i gave this a first listen. i can hear some of what you say but i also see & hear some horrible things.

first, truly bruford is fantastic, but he's on one of those weird plastic drumsets yes? still very good.

then, i think steve howe was great in the guitar (most of the time)

problems: too many. i'll try to be kind.

first, there were some horrible-sounding keyboards. don't know who was guilty because there were 20 fingers playing them. sounded a mess.

second, jon anderson's voice completely shot. shrill. that sort of pitch requires young flesh to sound like a full voice and not a whistle. and it was hard to unsee him dancing around on stage and doing interpretive dance to his lyrics. really ouch.

third-- i couldn't hear the bass! not in the great place that it always had. it was buried. what is yes without chris squire's bass leading.

fourth-- the guitar noodler in black. who is he? he plays a solo after steve howe. yes, he moves his fingers fast and al but that music is completely pedestrian. this was not what yes was about. it's more like hair bands.

fifth- howe's solo not quite on this one. he played great otherwise but his solo.. it was like he was trying to jump a fence but had to climb it instead (sorry for the metaphors)

so what i end up getting is this whole mess where i agree there are some great parts, but the whole is LESS than the sum of the parts.

and this is what hurts me about listening to old bands trying to recapture the past--all kinds of old bands, not just this one. the past can't be recaptured. the time is gone and instead of letting it go they keep going after and looking more desperate. what was done then was done then. and it should be left to stand.

so it was great to hear bruford with his plastic drums but it made me sad to watch this video. not trying to be cynical or anything! it was just... i don't know. it was like watching modern egyptians trying to build the pyramids with legos. or something.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|