View Single Post
Old 11.09.2008, 05:53 AM   #116
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead

Plus I'm young, I know relatively little about the 70's.

This is a blatant excuse, I'm afraid. The point I was trying trying to make with my earlier post, and perhaps I should have pointed it out more clearly, is that when I was your age (I think), there was no internet or powerful resource of musical information like the one you've now had for a long period of time.

You were even more disadvantaged if you lived in a small town and had to rely on mail order catalogues, saving pocket money, taping stuff off the radio etc. I'm certainly not romanticising this like you often see some people my age or older doing, in fact I totally embrace any possibility that has the potential of making one person's taste expand ad infinitum, what with an array of blogs and websites at your disposal, which should encourage you to find out about a different perspective of what went on in the 60's, 70's, 80's etc.

What strikes me as a bit odd, and this is in no way a criticism of the records people put on their own lists at all, is that for all the continuous debate on this forum as to what constitutes noise, where it originates from, who are the forefathers etc, a record like 'metal machine music' is more prominent view than, say, your pierre henry's, stockhausen's, or any other true experimentator that made music in those decades. Just a simple observation, nothing polemical.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|