View Single Post
Old 06.14.2012, 10:16 AM   #15908
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmer99
Sorry, didn't see this until now.

I might've found the film itself to be more interesting than entertaining. It's basically a film about human nature... but the way it's filmed really illustrates a cautious and detailed approach from Tati. The dialogue can barely be heard throughout the film and focuses a lot simply on the behavior of everyone at the resort. The "comical" parts are mostly amusing to me rather than laugh out loud funny. That's fine with me, as it usually takes something really specific to make me genuinely laugh. But I still appreciated his unique demonstration of the impulsive behavior of the characters.

"Play Time" may be the best I've seen from Jacques Tati. I really admired those sets he created for the film in the hotel. I loved the greyness to them and futuristic aspect. All things considered, it might very well be his boldest film.

Mr. Hulot's Holiday, despite what I said above... has a special place in my heart.

I think you sum it up in your last sentence. It's not the funniest film but it has a certain charm to it. Was the soundtrack of the version you watched in English or French? I ask because the French one has these excellent sound-based comedy moments, like the squeaky door in the hotel restaurant, which aren't in the English one. But regardless of language, the tennis scene is brilliant.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|