View Single Post
Old 11.15.2012, 02:16 PM   #338
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
My issue with television like Mad Men is that a good portion of their audience does not understand that what they are watching is a historical reconstruction, and take it to be something they should model their personal views after.

Remember Seinfeld? That show was about 4 HORRIBLE human beings, selfish, immoral, unrepentantly self-absorbed, with no cares for the rest of humanity. So many of that show's fans did not see this. instead, they saw mirrors of themselves and used Seinfeld as a get-out-of-jail free care for all their personal bullshit they lay on people. It helped them rationalize their own horrible behavior. "I'm just like Elaine!" "I'm not so bad compared to Costanza!"

Those same assholes did not understand the finale of Seinfeld, how they truly deserved to rot in jail for the untold horrors.

I wonder if Mad men is so highly thought of by the old white men that vote for the Emmy's because it directly mirrors what they truly believe and feel inside their secret minds, what they can no longer share with the world because it is not currently "acceptable."

It really is like Happy Days (made in the 70's but set in 50's), That 70's show (made in 90's but set in 70's), or other such rewrites of recent history, but it is a well-crafted drama with good acting.