View Single Post
Old 09.06.2013, 10:58 PM   #45719
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
@louder-

Same about Nirvana. They were the giants of our era, even if we're both probably a bit too young (I rarely get to use those words in reference to myself... that's the only reason I'm typing right now) to have had the full experience. The Pixies are, of course, classic. But compared to their own peers (Husker Du, REM, Dino) they have aged very poorly. Nirvana obliterates every band they were associated with in the 90s. And I get more of an emotional reaction from listening to Nirvana than I do from the Pixies. This is obviously because, while I may not still be a horny collegiate narcissist, taking black and white photos of things to show girls my depth ( for more on this read my entry in the Pixies thread ), I AM still TOTALLY pissed off about ALMOST every single aspect of existence.

So, fuck yeah Nirvana.

Nirvana only survived with grace because they didn't survive at all. Had Nirvana tried to make another album, it would have been the beginning of the end. Kurt may have bee able to start a career in a new band, clearly Dave moved on with Foo Fighters, but Nirvana was definitely at its high-water mark, Then Kurt died, and the Elvis effect kicked it. Bob Marley, Tupac, when artists who are already popular die in their prime, they not only become martyrs, they become almost Greek Titan heroes!! Nirvana is at that threshold, it is a trip to see my teenage students wearing Nirvana shirts, even the Seniors were born in 1996/97!!! They're listening to Nirvana like us 80s/90s kids were listening to Zeppelin, Floyd, and Sabbath, a FULL GENERATION REMOVED.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|