View Single Post
Old 01.29.2007, 05:23 PM   #9
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
What record made Japanese vocals cool into British pop music song?

I don't know, but I'm guessing porkmarras may possibly (although, it seems unlikely too) be referring to "It's No Game #1," the lead track from David Bowie's marvelous Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps). There's a Japanese female vocalist on it and the prodigious Robert Fripp plays guitar too on the track from the 1980 album.

If there's another recording that's pre'-80 and fits the criteria described in the question, then I'm not aware of it at the moment.

Of course, Yoko was before then, but hey, I would hardly describe any pre-'80 Ono/Lennon as being "brit pop." Although, Double Fantasy came out in 1980 as well and has a number of good Yoko tracks that are in a pop vein like "Kiss Kiss Kiss" and "I'm Moving On."

My other guesses are Sachiko Kaneobu or the female Japanese band Guernica, but I wouldn't say either used "brit pop" melodies, so those are probably not right either.

---
I wiki'ed and it says the name of the Japanese, yes, she is Japanese, singer on "It's No Game No. 1" is Michi Hirota.

Robert Rauschenberg, Canyon, 1959. Combine on canvas 81 3/4 x 70 x 24 inches.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|