View Single Post
Old 07.01.2011, 10:07 AM   #1
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I read Alex Ross' book The Rest is Noise which is excellent but a bit too exhaustive to really know where to begin with this stuff. I know there are a few posters here that are into it and ask if they could recommend say five 'essential' CDs. No massive 'collected works' box sets or anything like that but preferably some 'key' individual pieces. And by 'modern', I suppose I mean anything from the 20th Century onwards.

So far, the only things I have that might qualify are the Deutsche Gramaphone versions of Messiaen's Quartet for the End of Time, Chronochromie and Des Canyons Aux Etoile. Oh, and a Naxos CD of Erik Satie.

So yeah, five or so essential pieces of modern classical music is what I'm after. Not necessarily your favourites but the ones that might in some way be thought of as key - and if you can stretch to it, some reasons why would be even better.

Muchas Gracias
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|