View Single Post
Old 04.16.2009, 08:00 PM   #19
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
You talk about music as something to possess. Take film for example. People enjoyed them long before they could physically own them. The physical ownership of a person's favourite film or piece of music is a relatively recent phenomenon and as such is hardly a prerequisite to their being enjoyed. Who's to say that digital technology won't eventually mean that we no-longer own hard copies of the music or films we enjoy. Will a Beatles' song or a Hitchcock film diminish in quality simply because you or I don't have it on our shelves, but can instead download it at any time? I agree that it will change our relationship to those things, but that relationship was never carved in stone in the first place.

I agree about the issue of quality in terms of mp3s, etc. Although I tend to think that this is a teething issue not unusual in any new technology and that eventually digital technology (or whatever replaces it) will be at least as good as anything that vinyl was able to provide.

The argument I'm making will, I admit, put record shops such as the one you describe largely out of business, but then the advent of recorded music wasn't exactly great for orchestras who made a living playing to the public. And video has hardly benefited the local cinema.

You're right. I probably should've said practical rather than viable.

You are right, however I do feel an extra connection of holding something in my hands like the cover with full artwork etc while i listen to the music. As for the teething issues, you have been able to buy/download music from the internet for a while and it seems people obviously aren't asking these companies to give them full audio quality otherwise they would have by now, there is a complacency that i see in the generations younger than myself about the quality of the goods they consume and this isn't just in the quality of the music they download. Peoples home internet connections these days have the bandwidth to download a full album at full audio quality in less than 15 minutes. I guess though I am showing my age and are kinda the last of the generations of people that like scouring all the record stores for that special find.
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|