View Single Post
Old 05.10.2007, 09:43 AM   #12
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
You've all expressed it rather well.

The announcement made me think of all-black compositions throughout popular culture. Of course, Rauschenberg's "White Paintings" from the '50s inspired John Cage to do 4'33'' of silence. Rauschenberg later did some paintings that became known as "the black paintings," but they weren't all black. After the release of the White Album (1968), a bootleg called "The Black Album" appeared for The Beatles' 1969 sessions for Let It Be. In 1987, Prince almost released The Black Album. In 2003, Dj n-We did a mash-up of Jay-Z and Pavement called The Black Album. Of course countless bands have made covers that were mostly black. The first one I remember of this variety is probably AC/DC's Back in Black.

The post also made me think of a shop-owner and some friends of mine back in Athens. He repaired bikes, computers, & cameras and sold used cameras. The Rolling Stones wanted some vintage cameras for crowd members to film their performace with, so they got some there. I see Lee opted for a Bolex, Warhol's oft-chosen camera.

Ihad a drawing this guy would have liked. It was for a college art school class. I found out early that professors didn't want real art. They often told me that I was ten lesson plans or whatever ahead of what they were trying to teach. I would tell them that I found their criticism odd and that I can't just do some project, that I have to make it a work or art that also satisfies the criteria of the project. Anyway, sorry to get extra-vague there. This drawing was on a large sheet of rag paper in ink and black acrylic. It featured a mostly (blah) centr4alized composition which was a large slanted shadow of a demonic figure. There was one object in the picture, which was a pitchfork done up in great modeled detail in the foreground. The angle was such that one could only see the pitchfork being held and then the shadow of the figure with the pitchfork. Around this drawing were various alchemical drawings I found in the mid-section of C.G. Jung's Mysterium Conjunctionis. I had already made larger drawings of the drawings from the Middle Ages in the Jung book. I traced those onto tracing paper, and then traced over the lines with ink and monoprinted a a bunch of these cool drawings all around the large picture in the middle of the demon shadow. I thought the drawing was shit even though it looked cool I guess and many people seemed to like it. Anyway, this Portland dude would have dug it I bet.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|