View Single Post
Old 12.19.2015, 02:09 AM   #23
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I'm not saying Squeeze is a VU album. (Well, technically it is, but it's very obviously not)... I won't even go as far as NR, who said it sounds like it could pass for the band's follow-up to Loaded. It couldn't. It's not the band. It's Doug Yule. And fuck him for releasing it as a VU release.

That said, I agree with Mr. Pitchfork Writer guy that if it had been dropped as a Doug Yule solo effort, it would have been totally fine.

All I'm saying is this: the chances of the Velvets continuing on after Cale's departure and making better music than self-titled and Loaded with someone other than Doug Yule seem pretty low. I love Velvet Underground & Loaded almost as much as I love the first two. (Another View is kind of a different animal)... anyway, if those albums hadn't been completed exactly as they were, my life would suck a little bit more, and Yule was part of what made them so good.

That's all I'm saying.
I understood what youīre saying. I mention Squeeze as an example what Yule could do without Lou. I think those first two albums are the greatest Velvet-albums and really ever want to underrate the importance of Cale to Velvet. But according to book I read about Lou he just told to Yule what he had to do in third album (anyway for example Candy Says is Reed song). Maybe Yule spent more time in the studio with Loaded than Lou, but I have also read Yule took much more credits of the songs he really compose. I believe there would have beem also some other great musician helping Velvet in that time if there hadnīt been Yule. Velvet just had then quite great reputation at least in art music circles. Of course we never know. And again, both V.U. & Another View are as great Velvet albums as third and loaded.

And I am not saying Squeeze is totally shit album, but it really isnīt the greatest 70 albums. And really has nothing to do with the Velvet. I believe no-one would remember it if it hadnīt made under the Velvet name.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|