View Single Post
Old 05.26.2016, 07:57 PM   #2055
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
These kinds of generalizations don't work. I used to frequent an indie record store, several days a week. 20 year olds would come in as swoon over Bell and Sebastian albums and Ghostface Killah. You work in a school, so I know you know that kids still wear Nirvana shirts for some goddamn reason. At least, they did last time I subbed, which was less than a year ago.

Some things will never be lame. Nirvana, Sonic Youth, Steve Albini... never lame. Beatles... never lame. Coltrane... never lame.

The day you get me to call Aphex Twin "dad rock" is the day I roll over and die. You're talking about kids as though they're all the same. They're not. Tons of them are really clueless and dumb, and always have been. The cool ones dig into our music, as well as the music we dug into from earlier generations like VU and Joy Division. Because those artists are cool as fuck.

Dad Rock is John Mayer, Dave Matthews, Coldplay, RHCP, U2, and all kinds of other lame ass shit from various eras. Maybe even Beastie Boys... which sucks, but it's definitely possible. Oasis. Nickelback. But those groups aren't "dad rock" because of their age.

Lightning Bolt is not Dad Rock. Hella? Not dad rock. Bikini Kill? Is Bikini Kill fucking dad rock?

We need to establish some operational definitions here, or we all need to shut the fuck up.

Radiohead is starting to feel like straight up grandfather rock compared to these other groups that you're attempting to sell as dad rock.

Operational definitions or no conversation. This is some bullshit right now.
Haha you're still in denial as you over think it as always. You keep framing those bands in OUR generational context not the current generation's perspective. Hey I'm just the messenger don't blame me for bringing what I'm supposing is to you bad news. Is what it is. We listen to dad rock. As rob mentioned, our music at the least weirds them out more than it interests them. There is no shame in it. I don't entirely mean it as a diss so much as a declaration

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|