View Single Post
Old 12.21.2015, 07:34 AM   #45
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I don't think of the Velvet Underground as punk. Pre-punk? Proto-punk? Sure. But for me "Punk" started with Raw Power. And I think plenty of bands have added to it, not the least of which is Sonic Youth. Also: Wire, the Cramps, Suicide, The Ramones, Joy Division, Fugazi, and tons of other bands with sounds as varied as the colors of the rainbow.

But I do see your point.
To me punk started in Eddie Cochranīs Summertime Blues & Nervous Breakdown. To me Sonics were first punk band. And Yes, almost all those bands you mentioned are really great and I am glad they have existed and made great music. But I donīt think they add really nothing more what VU, Stooges, 13th Floor Elevators etc. have already done. I think the great invention in end of seventies were bands like Birthday Party, the Pop Group & of course Minutemen, who have a great idea to mix punk & Beefheart.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|