Thread: St. Vincent
View Single Post
Old 02.19.2009, 10:57 PM   #1
Green Magnesium
100%

Green Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's asses
According to 4AD... http://www.4ad.com/news/album-news/

What do you think of her (Annie Clark)?

When her first album came out in '07 I went in VERY cautiously as people were (incorrectly, imo) comparing her to Regina Spektor and Feist.

The reason the music works for me is because she can do off-kilter without sounding like she's trying too hard. She has a pretty and simple voice (unlike Feist and Amanda Palmer and countless other obnoxious show-boating female artists that she is unfortunately grouped in with).

Her first album Marry Me (named after an Arrested Development catchphrase) has a nice mix of songs, with Bowie piano-man Mike Garson playing throughout.

She has toured and/or played with Glenn Branca, Sufjan Stevens and The Polyphonic Spree (none of whom I particularly care for, but I know some people around here do).

I must say, some of the reviews I have read of her first album make her sound like a totally off-the-wall artist, which she's really not. I do enjoy her stuff though.
Green Magnesium is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|