View Single Post
Old 03.14.2016, 10:49 AM   #20
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I thought the Nolan Batman movies sucked shit as far as Batman goes because they were not about the dark knight detective. Batman solved no mysteries, solved no crimes, deduced absolutely nothing in those movies, and was basically a generic hero. Batman is my all time fave and the movies did not do it right in my eyes. Batman was never ever ever supposed to be an anti-hero. he is a human being with NO powers at all. He is a vigilante.

The Nolan movies made him into a version of Tony Stark with angst. I hated that shit. Christian Bale sucked. Bane is a stupid enemy with no wit or cleverness, unlike the standard batman enemies like the riddler, joker, penguin, etc. That Bane movie just plain sucked, and I have seen it 4 times. each time I hate it more and more.....

There was more Detectice stuff than you're letting on man. He tears ballistics samples in TDK, and does a lot of sneaking around in Batman Begins. I agree that they didn't (and never have) truly done justice to the "world's greatest Detectice" thing. Batman is supposed to be a superior intellect... almost a genius... who knows when to stay out of a fight and when to start one. The movies (almost by necessity) emphasized his physical strength and technical Savvy over everything else. But I still think they did an excellent job.

He did a ton of digging in TDK to find the Joker's identity. But there was so much going on in all of those movies that there was no time for slow-burning detective work scenes. They were all 2+ hours and ran at a really fast pace. So they made a few compromises. But it was awesome.

And Bane is actually written as a pretty clever character. He's almost like Batman's equal opposite in the comics (or was before he started finding his way into so many other goddamn storylines). But I thought he was a shitty choice for a villain too until I saw Tom Hardy prepping for the role. Hardy should have had more screen time in TDKR. He really was frightening as Bane. Way better than the often hokey comic book version.

But I'd love to see big screen batman pitted against Dr. Strange or a (not ridiculously stupid) Riddler. That would make for a good detective story, if done right. Probably not gonna happen any time soon though.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|