View Single Post
Old 12.06.2017, 10:43 AM   #923
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
dude your hyperbole is ridiculous.....to reference someone in pop culture isn't to enshrine them as a genius, especially in something as (as you'd admit) absurdly vapid and created for the background of teenage fucks....real long fuckin bow there.

sure, kanye west may be at the 'height' of popular culture, he may be its 'leader' as it currently stands (which in itself is even a joke of an assertion), but you surely can't be serious in trying to compare him to a group like the beatles? I don't even like the beatles and I find that patently ridiculous...

that he commands so great a status, surely that doesn't point to his 'greatness' but rather the stagnation of popular culture? we've finally reached a point where mass media reflects nothing of what actually occurs at the vanguard of artistic production, and all we're left with is stale, rampantly hateful, egomaniacal bile, the utterly disgusting character traits of a piece of shit human being passed off as artistic complexity (emperor x no clothes etc.) and his music, predicated on the exploitation of producers whose work too amounts to nothing more than ever-so-slightly altered but nevertheless butchered pisstakes of the 'popular culture of yore'..........

And yet I compared them. Oh my god!

Their career trajectories are actually pretty similar in terms of how sonics expanded over time.

And I’m not comparing them in a “Kanye is the modern day Beatles” way... I’m saying that if hip-hop has a Beatles, it’s Kanye. Everyone else is faded in and out of obscurity, releasing maybe three critical/commercial successes in a row before dropping a brick. And the exceptions to that (Eminem... kind of, but not really) have not grown or expanded or changed significantly in 20 years. There’s more growth between College Dropout and Late Registration than there is between The Slim Shady LP and this new shit. Or Jay z, who took breaks to make shit albums or rehashes of old material in between his great albums.

If you don’t like Kanye or he Beatles, then I neither expect you to understand the comparison, nor do I respect your opinion about the comparison.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|