View Single Post
Old 03.22.2006, 01:25 PM   #3
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
My opinions. Please do not assume that this list is in any way exhaustive. I'll just type 'till my fingers get too sore.

Part one: people who (supposedly) should not be bashed, but who are or were in fact largely bobbins: The Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Who, Led Zepellin, U2, Bloody Radiohead, Blur, Belle and Sebastian, Kaiser Chiefs, Eminem, Coldplay, Pink Floyd, Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, Brian Eno, Genesis, Abba, Bee Gees, The White Stripes, Arcade Fire, Flaming Lips, REM, Blondie, undertones, Verve, The Strokes

Part two: people who are polular, but not protected to the same extent as those in part one, and are or were also largely bobbins: Green Day, the Foo Fighters, The Darkness, Slipknot, Maximo Park, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Pavement, Rage Against the Machine, 50 Cent, Snow Patrol (the point? Any idea?), Keane (ditto), The Killers, My Chemical Romance, Black Sabbath, Ash, Turin Brakes, Alkaline Trio, The Bravery, Iron Maiden, The Editors, The Hives, The Vines, Catatonia, Guns 'n' Roses, Christina Agullera, Massive Attack, Underworld, Fatboy Slim, AC/DC.

Part three: throwaway pop acts etc who, despite being very popular and/or supposedly credible in some way, are or were still largely bobbins: Celine Dion (first on the list for a reason), Mariah Carey, Kylie Minogue, Gerorge Michael, Phil Collins, Westlife, Jamie Cullum, Wham!, Bananarama, Simply Red, Simple Minds, .

Classical composers who, despite the trend, were largely bobbins: Beethoven, Sullivan, Britten, that guy whose name escapes me, Dvorak.

It seems to me that jazz is the only major musical genre where it's quality that gets respect.

In jazz, the cream rises to the surface, whilst in other genres the pollution just kind of floats there.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|