View Single Post
Old 04.19.2011, 08:05 AM   #8
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonso
If you would've actually read Marx, nik, you would've understood that the greatest persuasive power of 'commodities' comes not from their use-value but rather from its fetishization. Seeing how the future of digital is the 'cloud', therefore even less material, and being vinyl an well established format that fulfills this need, I'd say there are good chances it'll will stay along for awhile.

I'll save ni'k the bother of replying.

What you've done there is to emphasise 'fetishisation' while presuming an ontological primacy - something that Marx and Engels didn't do, and rarely do any Marxists (from the academic ones I've read at least). Music is still fetishised in the surface-less realm - that's why people still listen to it as a non-essential commodity, why we're all here talking about music. That the commodification of music hasn't shrunk the transparent exchange-production-commodity of music doesn't mean that there isn't those economical demarcations there - vis-a-vis, most pop music videos, consumed on youtube (owned by Google) have product placement in. The economy has removed the direct exchange value of ontological commodity fetish, but don't be fooled into thinking that the exchange value was destroyed or removed. EMI is still turning a massive profit, just not directly from classic record industry product.

To make that a little clearer - music is fetishised both ways (if vinyl is really distinct from 'digital' formats, an bifurcation I've challenged previously in this thread) and ni'k is well aware of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|