View Single Post
Old 07.16.2016, 12:55 PM   #1
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Anyone on board with this?

We just watched the first episode last night. It's getting a lot of buzz. It's like an homage to Steven Spielberg, Stephen King, John Carpenter, and other '80s sci-fi gurus, with maybe a shade of Neil Gaiman, little JJ Abrams (for all I know Abrams helped make it.)

It's, like, SUPER nostalgic. Everything about it feels plucked from 1985. It's a supernatural small town suspense story about ... y'know... some shit. I'll know more when I watch more. But three soundtrack is amazing. It's reminiscent of what Cliff Martinez did for the Street Fighter-esque soundtrack for Only God Forgives. Maybe not as edgy, but still pretty damn powerful.

I don't know. I'm liking it so far. It has Winona Rider in it after all, and she's nice to look at, and you don't see much of her these days. I kinda feel like they wish they'd been able to get Seth Rogan for the part of the police chief (anyone feel me on this one?) But generally I'm optimistic.

Really just drills through those '80s teen film tropes though. Five minutes in and you've already got a nerdy outsider kid with a best friend who's into his hot, bookish sister, and some kinda monster that manipulated electricity and energy AND a distant bespectacled father figure, not to mention D&D, a couple of mini Stand By Me-type bullies, and an audio visual club element. It's like they were checking shit off on a list.

The effect is pretty damn uncanny though, I have to say.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|