View Single Post
Old 07.17.2017, 11:24 AM   #1379
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I feel the same but I think this drive for a female Doctor needs to be careful what it wishes for. The best Doctors have usually been quite bumbling, and ultimately dependent on the bravery and pragmatism of their (traditionally female) assistant. (The Tom Baker and Lailla team-up was a perfect example of that.) Reversing that gender dynamic (a bumbling female doctor having to rely on the street-smarts of her (we assume) male assistant) could end up being more offensive to women than the traditional set up. And if the writers try to address that by turning the new doctor into more of an all-powerful action-woman type (basically Lailla with a boffin brain) then the whole dynamic between her and her assistant will need a significant rethink - and, given how dependent the series is on that relationship, do they really want to start tinkering with it?

Hmm... I see what you mean. I do I do.

I thought about the pisisbibility of a female doctor with a female sidekick. Then I thought about the possibility of a female doctor with a sort of sexless alien sidekick. That could work. But I think the Doctor has been awesome when non-bumbling. My favorites in fact are Tennant (who, ok, was pretty goddamn bumbling, but always tempered that with relentless cool), and Matt Smith (who was almost autistic, but not exactly bumbling, and surprisingly forceful and cocksure when he got riled up) and I love Baker, but Peter Capaldi has a lot in common with Baker, and Peter Capaldi's doctor is probably the most arrogant and brash. So there's plenty of room to fiddle with the Doctor's personality, and make this work.

But the sidekick thing, I dunno. You're right. That could be a one-step-forward-two-steps-back kind of thing. And I don't rightly know what to think right now. As long as they don't make it a female Doctor with a female sidekick a la Rose, for whom things get ever so slightly saucy. That would be just too much, and would push me past my limit. I have some issues with the homosexual tokenism that is now pretty common on TV. Often, these token characters just reinforce really crap stereotypes despite their purported intent of shattering glass ceilings.

(If you've seen the mandated 1 gay/1 lesbian per show hijinx of shows like Arrow, Flash, Supergiel and Legends of Tomorrow, you'll know what I mean. Those gay caricatures in capes do nothing to leave stereotypes behind.)

Blah!
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|