View Single Post
Old 07.17.2017, 10:42 AM   #1375
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
This Doctor thing might feel to some like having their beloved character erased. It's changing the sex, probably as a trial run for a future female Bond. That might just feel strange to some people, and it might have nothing to do with sexism or anything like that. Y'know?
I don't have a goddamn thing against women in SF, or a woman Doctor, though... I'm curious as fuck, and I say bring it on!

I feel the same but I think this drive for a female Doctor needs to be careful what it wishes for. The best Doctors have usually been quite bumbling, and ultimately dependent on the bravery and pragmatism of their (traditionally female) assistant. (The Tom Baker and Leela team-up was a perfect example of that.) Reversing that gender dynamic (a bumbling female doctor having to rely on the street-smarts of her (we assume) male assistant) could end up being more offensive to women than the traditional set up. And if the writers try to address that by turning the new doctor into more of an all-powerful action-woman type (basically Lailla with a boffin brain) then the whole dynamic between her and her assistant will need a significant rethink - and, given how dependent the series is on that relationship, do they really want to start tinkering with it?
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|